Listed below are things to consider before setting up your auction.
Will you enable bidding before your event?
For those of you having a silent auction at your fundraising event, pre-bidding is the practice of opening up your auction beforehand. For most, this ranges from 3-5 days prior to the event. If done correctly, pre-bidding can have a profound effect on your overall auction’s success.
To help you decide, click to read a related blog post about pre-bidding.
Are you going to use Handbid’s credit card system?
You can opt to use our Credit Card processing system if you choose. Handbid’s system will allow you to collect a credit card from the bidder and keep it on file. You can add credit card information through the auction manager or bidders can add their own credit card information from the iPhone or Android app. Here are some things to consider about the Handbid CC system:
- If you plan to use Handbid's credit card system you will need to check the checkbox for "ENABLE CREDIT CARD SUPPORT" on the Financial tab of the Auction settings.
2. If you want to require bidders to place a credit card on file before they start to bid you will need to check the checkbox "REQUIRE CREDIT CARD" on the Financial tab of the Auction setting.
3. If you want to collect bidders addresses check the box "REQUIRE ADDRESS TO PAY" on the financial tab of the Auction setting
4. Credit cards on file are not automatically charged when the auction is closed. You can bill to a card on file, but you will still need to process that payment manually after generating and reviewing a bidder’s invoice.
5. Even if a bidder has a credit card on file they do not have to pay with that card. You can still collect cash, check or a different credit card from them.
6. We offer this service as a convenience for you. However, we charge a 3.5% transaction fee on all funds charged by the Handbid Credit Card system to cover our costs.
7. You may want to consider using the Auction Premium optional feature to help defray the CC processing fees. This will add a percentage based fee to every invoice regardless of payment method.
Are you going to require check-in to bid?
This feature gives you more control on who can bid in your auction? Want to limit bidding to local bidders only? Want to only allow specific bidders to participate? You can require that the auction manager checks them in before they are allowed to bid. This setting is found on the "Bidders" tab of the Auction setting window.
If you require Bidder Check in you will need to ensure all of your bidders are checked in before they can bid. You can check in a bidder at registration or from the bidder detail page.
Are you going to use Handbid for ticket sales?
If you are going to use Handbid for ticket sales, then a majority of your users will be visiting your auction site at Handbid.com prior to the event. You will need to make sure you have your auction setup in advance (at least the info, the banner images, etc.) prior to inviting people to come to the site. You will also need to have your tickets setup and your auction in pre-sale mode. See Setting up tickets for more information.