How to create and update your automatic message templates
Auction Settings: Templates
The Templates tab is critical to communication between you and your guests. Please take a moment to fill out each message template so you can clearly communicate important event information with your guests before and after your event. You can use the list of tokens on the right-hand menu to personalize your message.
Tokens trigger your message to auto-populate certain information like guests first and last name, paddle number etc. Please feel free to use our sample templates as you begin to set up your communications.
Creating and Updating Templates: Two ways for accessing your templates
- Initial Auction Set-up - The first way to create your templates will be after you've logged in with your auction manager credentials. You will be prompted to enter in pertinent event information in order to create your site. During that set up you'll see the Templates tab - as stated above, this is one of the most important settings to complete. This is what will keep your guests/bidders informed before, during and after your event.
To begin creating:
- Click on the Template Name dropdown to select the message you want to edit.
- After you select the template, you can begin using the tokens (on the right-hand menu) to select which pieces of information you'd like to auto-populate within the message.
- Once you finish drafting a message, the site will auto-save. Don't worry about searching for a save button, the site will take care of that.
- When you've completed drafting all messages, be sure to click the green UPDATE button at the bottom of the page to save your auction changes.
- Post Site Set-up - If you skipped the templates tab during your initial set up, that's OK! You can still access and update the templates from the auction settings. To get to your auction settings be sure you're logged in with your auction manager credentials and select your auction. Once you're in the auction dashboard, click on the gear icon next to your event name (see image below). On the next page you will see your settings window with tabs. Click on the Templates tab to access and update the templates. Refer to the image and instructions above for steps on how to update or create your messages from the templates tab.
Communication: Message types and how they're used
So now we have our messages drafted - great job! Now, let's walk through each of the messages to find out where they appear, when and who sees them and what they look like to the end-user. Handbid offers many avenues to contact and communicate with your users, let's find out what will work best for you!
Receipt/Invoice Message - Guests will receive this message after they pay at check-out or made a purchase on the site. We strongly recommend you place contact information for item redemption, a thank you for supporting your organization and tax ID information, if applicable. Here is a link to View our Sample Invoice. Below is an example receipt note and a screenshot of what it looks like to your guests, you will see that the message appears at the bottom of the invoice in the Message from the Organization section:
Thank you [bidderFullName] for your participation in the [eventName] Auction! Our [organizationName] could not function without your generous support. This receipt/invoice will serve as an official statement for items purchased at this event. We are a 501c3, so some portion of your total may be tax deductible. Please consult with a tax advisor to determine the amount (if any) you may be able to deduct. If you have additional questions about the auction or your items, please contact Bob Smith at 555-555-5555 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Welcome Message - Your welcome message will appear as a pop up on the homepage page when your bidders register in your auction. Below is an example message.
Welcome to the [organizationName] [eventName]! We appreciate your support and participation.
We have Auction Volunteers who can help you place or track bids throughout the evening.
We hope you find something you like in our Auction. Funds raised will support our programs and activities throughout the year. Feel free to contact us if you have questions!
The Cause Team, email@example.com
Shipping / Redemption Instructions - For a seamless check-out and post-event process, its important to include specific information on item redemption, especially if you're planning to ship an item(s) to winners. Guests will receive shipping and item redemption instructions after they've paid for their item(s).
Thank you again for your support! Now that the auction is over, please be sure to check out with us to redeem your item(s) and /or purchases. If you're unable to redeem your item(s) tonight or if you are not attending our event and need to have your item(s) shipped, please contact Bob Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to coordinate item redemption.
Donation Description - This is a great opportunity for you to highlight what you're raising funds for this year. You can display how each donation level helps your organization, say 'Thank you' to your donors or display your organizations mission. The language in this message will appear below the thermometer on your Donate page via the Donate tab from the event homepage. Please note this message is simple text and cannot be specifically formatted with line breaks etc.
We can't thank you enough for choosing to support NONPROFIT ORG. Your generosity helps hundreds of children in our community; our mission grows stronger because of people like you. We want to be transparent and show you where your funds go when you decide to give to NONPROFIT ORG.
Donation level example:
$50 → Cover's the cost of 6 school lunches
$100 → Cover's the cost of 1 doctor appointment
$500 → Cover's the cost of 4 counseling sessions
$1,000 → Cover's supplemental housing costs for 1 month
$2,500 → Cover's the cost of transportation using our community vehicle for 1-year
$5,000 → Cover's the cost of 10 rehabilitation retreats
Item Donation Thank You Note: When a donor comes to your site to donate an item to your auction, it's important we send them a message to recognize them and provide them with any additional information they might need. After a donor completes the item donation form, the site will automatically send a thank you email to the donor.
Thank you for your item donation to the [eventName]! Your generosity helps us to put together an incredible auction for our guests. If you have any questions you can contact [eventPrimaryContactName] at [eventPrimaryContactEmail].
Please keep this email for your records.
Custom Terms: When a guest registers on your Handbid auction site, they'll receive a pop up window asking them to accept our terms and conditions. However, as an organization, you also have the ability to create your own Custom Terms if you desire. Both yours and Handbid's terms and conditions populate within the same window.